T.M.D.(Temporo Mandibular Disorders)
MENU Unconscious biting Waribashi Test Biofeedback Self-introduction
Dental caries and pyorrhea alveolaris (or peridontitis) have
been long thought as the two most frequent diseases in
dentistry. Recently, a third disease has attracted much
attention. I am interested in and studying this third
disease. Although there are many things to be investigated
and there is no definite treatment, let me give you some
useful information gathered so far. So what is the third
disease? It is a disease called TMD, which affects the face
to the neck, especially the jaw joint, and sometimes affects
the whole body.
The problem is that the cause of TMD is unknown. We do not
know whether poor occlusion is the immediate cause, or just
a trigger. Because its cause has not been identified,
various treatments are used now. The treatment greatly
depends on the dentist. Thus, what I describe here may be
In general, the potential causes are divided into occlusion related and
non-related ones: occlusion related causes include poor occlusion (dental
caries, untreated dental defects, abnormal dentition, and inappropriate
dental treatment), bruxism, biting habit, biased biting, development abnormality
by insufficient chewing during growth, malformation, trauma, and rheumatism.
Occlusion non-related causes include lack of exercise, stress, bad posture,
resting the chin on the hand, character, mental disorder, poor shape, situations
that require looking downward for a long time such as reading, using a
personal computer, and knitting, biting during sporting activities (e.g..
biting when hitting a ball), opening the mouth wide, leg injury, and poor
Those who are engrossed in the Internet like yourselves may suffer some of the causes.
There are many potential causes of TMD, and almost everyone
suffers at least one, and TMD development varies among
individuals. This is the main reason why it is difficult to
identify the cause. I think poor occlusion may sometimes be
the immediate cause, but be one of contributors at another
times. I am sorry for not being decisive. In fact, many
researchers consider that poor occlusion is not the
immediate cause of TMD.
The three main symptoms
Treating the noise when opening the mouth is most difficult.
However, it is better not to become nervous.
- Pain when opening the mouth
- Unable to open the mouth
- Noise when opening the mouth
Although almost everyone has at least one of the following
many symptoms, past literature shows that all of them play a
part. Some researchers concentrate on the symptoms around
the mouth. However, such abundance of the symptoms shows
that TMD may be related to body posture and the autonomic
nervous system, and affect the whole body.
The most frequent complaints for the body sites other than
the mouth are headache and shoulder stiffness.
- Dental smart, dental movement, fluctuation, disconfort, fracture, defect
- Swelling, smart, recession
- Gustation disorder, articulation disorder, involuntary movement
- Headaches at temple, brow, top, and occipital region
- feeling like wearing a hat, ache just by touching hair
- Pain deep inside the eyes, fatigue, decreased sight, vertigo
- throbbing pain, drooped lids, frequent tearing, jerks
- pain at the lower limb of the orbits.
- Nasal congestion, discomfort, snore
- Tinnitus, decreased hearing, itching, vertigo, otitis media-like pain
- Neck and shoulder
- Disable to turn the head around, pain on the neck, shoulder stiffness,
- Pain, feeling of obstruction, dryness, tingling pain, dry cough
- persistent sputum, discomfort at swallowing, nausea
- feeling of foreign matter
- palpitation, intercostal neuralgia, potential mastitis, breast lump and pain
- gastroduodenal pain, enteritis-like pain, hemorrhoids, physiology disorder
- hip pain, acute low back pain
- swelling and pain of the wrists and fingers, pain of joints, brachial pain
- pigeon-toed walk, bent legs, joint pain, water in the knee
- blister and corn, hip joint dislocation, varix
- abnormal ablation of shoe heels
- Whole body
- bending forward posture, fatigue, oversensitivity to colds
- autonomic dystonia
- abulia, inactiveness in school or office, insomnia, forgetfulness
- anger, absence of mind, unstability